Date: 6 November 2013
Venue: Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
The past five South China Sea Tsunami Workshops (SCSTWs) were held in Taipei, Taiwan (2007), Shanghai, China (2008), Penang, Malaysia (2009), Banda Aceh, Indonesia (2011), and Beijing, China (2012). Following the success of past SCSTWs, the 6th South China Sea Tsunami Workshop (SCSTW6) will be held in Singapore from 6th to 8th November 2013, in collaboration with the Institute of Catastrophe Risk Management (ICRM), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, and Cornell University, USA.
Objectives of the SCSTW Workshops
Coastal geography, geology, ecology, population and economic development vary significantly in the South China Sea region. While effective tsunami hazard mitigation programs are best developed and implemented locally so that local environment and culture are considered, potential tsunamis are generated by the same seismic sources and propagate regionally through the same South China Sea and therefore, an early warning system would be best developed regionally and collaboratively. To understand the fundamental tsunami processes, the generation mechanisms, the propagation characteristics and, finally their coastal effects all need to be addressed. Strong interactions and collaborations among coastal physical oceanographers geophysicists, and engineers are necessary and it is the objective of the SCSTWs is to create such a forum.
SCSTW6 will be held at the Nanyang Executive Centre (NEC) of Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. Located amidst tranquil settings and soothing greenery of NTU’s Yunnan Garden Campus, NEC offers a premier venue together with convenient guest accommodations for scientific symposiums and workshops.
- Prof Philip L.-F. Liu, Chair of the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, USA.
- Assoc Prof Edmond Yat-Man Lo, Deputy Director, Institute of Catastrophe Risk Management, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Local Organizing Committee (LOC)
- Assoc Prof Bing Li (LOC Chair), Director, Natural Hazard Research Centre, ICRM, NTU
- Dr. Zhenhua Huang (Secretary), CEE, NTU
- Miss Amell Lim, NHRC-ICRM, NTU
- Miss Yao Yao, ICRM, NTU
- Prof Philip L.-F. Liu (Cornell)
- Prof Hua Liu (Shanghai Jiaotong University, China)
- Dr. Zhenhua Huang (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)
- Dr. Tso-Ren Wu (Central University, Taiwan)